Marvelous Girl Has Moved!

Bassinet recall re-announced after two more infant deaths

Posted on: August 21, 2009

simplicity bassinet recall infant deaths

Two more infants have died by entrapment in Simplicity bassinets, so the Consumer Product Safety Commission decided to re-announce its August 2008 recall of the child beds.

The recall was first announced last year after the death of two additional children,  totaling four deaths that have been reported to the commission involving Simplicity bassinets.

The recall includes more than 900,000 bassinets sold as far back as 2001 and as recently as last year.

The hazard found in the Simplicity 3-in-1 and 4-in-1 convertible bassinets is from the metal bars being spaced farther apart than federal standards allow, the commission said.

If the Velcro-attached fabric designed to cover the metal bars on the bassinet is attached improperly, a pocket can be created where children can become trapped, the commission added.  And children can become stuck between the bassinet’s bars even without the fabric attached.

Owners of the recalled bassinets can return the beds to the stores where they bought them, the safety commission said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 658,644 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

Follow me on Twitter

%d bloggers like this: